Is it ok to mix types of felt?

The chord bar assembly, including bars, buttons, felt, springs, combs, holders or covers, and mounting.

Is it ok to mix types of felt?

Postby CrossTronic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 am

I recently bought a new autoharp, along with a few extra custom chords. The factory chords were made from black felt. The custom chords were made from white felt. I notice that the white felt is a little bit thicker than the black felt. In other words, the white felt is closer to the strings than the black felt in the open position.

Does anyone forsee a problem with having chord bars with different felt thicknesses on the same harp?

Thanks.
CrossTronic

Re: Is it ok to mix types of felt?

Postby Bob Lewis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 am

CrossTronic wrote:I recently bought a new autoharp, along with a few extra custom chords. The factory chords were made from black felt. The custom chords were made from white felt. I notice that the white felt is a little bit thicker than the black felt. In other words, the white felt is closer to the strings than the black felt in the open position.

Does anyone forsee a problem with having chord bars with different felt thicknesses on the same harp?

Thanks.

The slight difference in how the buttons will feel when you play the chords (the action) may throw you a little, but the only alternative is to charge you a lot more to make them all the same. Meanwhile the black ones work just fine. The other alternative at a given price is to refuse to do custom chords because you will complain. That's not what you want.

If it really does bother you, plan on refelting all the bars that currently have black felt. The black is the factory felt, and there is no way to make custom chords exactly like them.

For those who may not follow, a "custom chord" is, for example, replacing a standard factory chord with something else, often a Bm for one. That also involves a blank-top button that may or may not match the set exactly.

In summary, the guy who sold you the harp didn't do anything wrong, assuming you didn't bargain for all new felt. The two of you need to communicate more.
Bob Lewis
Site Admin

Return to Chord bars and felting