Changing a 2-Row Configuration to a 3-Row Configuration

Chord buttons don't need to stay where they are. Check out some other ideas. What notes are in a chord. Nonstandard chords.

Changing a 2-Row Configuration to a 3-Row Configuration

Postby CrossTronic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but this is my first day on the list. My question is:

How difficult is it to remove the buttons on a 2-layer chord bar setup and reglue them in a 3-layer (modified Bowers) configuration?

Thanks.
CrossTronic

Postby Bob Lewis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:35 am

I think the best thing is to make new bars from wood. A $99 bandsaw and some sandpaper is all that is really needed. That and I prefer WunderCote from Rockler. It is water based and can be wiped or brushed on.

As far as working with existing bars, some buttons will snap off readily and some will not. You would have to be ready to trash and replace either a button or an entire bar.

It is just easiest to put the bar in a vice, firmly but not crushing it, tap the plastic top strip to slide it along the channel, until the button is in the desired position. Saw off the plastic extending beyond the bar and insert the cut piece back on the other end. I use a fine blade hobby saw. Using the vice, the bar channel can be crimped a little tighter to hold the plastic top piece in position.

The buttons can be relabeled by first sanding off the old chord name using an emery board and coating the raw surface with clear nail polish. Chord names are better placed on the sides of the buttons where a player can see them when glancing down. Labels are available from Wilder Graphics, which has an ad in the classified section in the back of any recent AQ (Autoharp Quarterly magazine) issue.
Bob Lewis
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby CrossTronic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the tip. I would NEVER have thought of sliding the plastic strip down.
CrossTronic

Return to Chords and chord layouts