Slider Strap

Music, books, recordings, videos, all sorts of gear

Slider Strap

Postby shirleyjean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm

I'm a beginner, and I have been playing with my instrument on my lap. I sometimes feel that I might enjoy playing with the autoharp upright and I would like some information about slider straps. Are they a good idea? What are the plusses and minuses? Any recommendations for a brand and how to attach it?

shirleyjean
shirjer@escapees.com
shirleyjean

Postby Bob Lewis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:40 am

Playing upright is a good choice as is wearing a strap, so you can be more relaxed, less concerned about holding the autoharp steady or not dropping it.

Slider is both a type of strap and a brand. There is a special size for autoharp (short). I suggest buying it from Autoharp Quarterly. See http://www.autoharpquarterly.com.

If you enlarge it, the picture at the top of this page shows strap buttons attached to the face of the instrument. One is at the uppermost tuning pin. The other is a the lower left below the chord bars. There are other possibilities for locations but these work and are the same classic locations once used by the US factory for the Centurion and Appalachian models, the only ones with strap buttons included.

You may find that some of the excess leather needs to be cut away from the end tabs of the strap. That will allow more easily attaching the strap in a cramped space.
Bob Lewis
Site Admin

Return to Gear and accessories